Dr. Ehud Eilam has been dealing and studying Israel’s national security for more than 25 years. He served in the Israeli military and later on he worked as a private contractor for the Israeli Ministry of Defense. He is now a writer and an independent researcher.
The Arab-Israeli conflict; Israel’s national strategy and military doctrine
– Israel, the Arabs and Iran: International Relations and Status Quo (New York: Routledge, 2017)
– Israel’s Future Wars (Washington, DC: Westphalia Press, 2016)
– Israel’s Way of War: A Strategic and Operational Analysis, 1948–2014 (Jefferson NC: McFarland, 2015)
– The Next War between Israel and Egypt: Examining a High-Intensity War between Two of the Strongest Militaries in the Middle East (Edgware UK: Vallentine Mitchell, 2014)
– More than 30 short articles (up to 1,000 words each). Several of them were published in the National Interest, the Global Post, the Algemeiner, etc. Most of them were published in Israel in the Jerusalem Post, Ynet, Ma’ariv, Haaretz, Walla, BESA and INSS (leading Israeli daily newspapers, news sites and think tanks).
– “The 1967 war and Israel’s current national security challenges”, inFOCUS, Spring 2017
– “Dealing with Iran and its Allies”, Comparative Strategy, Vol. 35 No.4, November 2016
– “Arab Factor as a Part of the Iranian-Israeli Conflict: An Israeli Perspective”, Contemporary Review of the Middle East, Vol. 3, No. 4, September 2016
– “The Struggle against Hamas/Hizbullah: Israel’s Next Hybrid War”, Israel Journal of Foreign Affairs, Vol. 10, No. 2, July 2016
– “Israel in the Face of Evolving Security Challenges,” the Middle East Review of International Affairs, Vol. 19, No. 2, Summer 2015
– “The Arab Turmoil and the Conflict in the Ukraine,” Research Institute for European and American Studies, December 2014
– “Israel’s Military Options, Challenges and Constraints in an Attack on Iran,” Defense Studies, Vol. 13, Issue 1, April 2013, 1–13
– “Operational Aspects of a Future War between Egypt and Israel,” Defense & Security Analysis, Vol. 28, Issue 3, 2012, 260–267
– “Egypt: New Government, Old Challenges,” Defense & Security Analysis, Vol. 28, Issue 2, 2012, 185–191
– “A New Take on the Iranian-Israeli Conflict,” Israel Journal of Foreign Affairs, Vol. 2, No. 2, 2008, 11–21
– “Military, Economic and Social Challenges of the IDF’s Reserves,” IDF—Maarchot, May 2002, 26–34 (published in Hebrew)
-Israel and Syria: The Military Balance and Prospects of War, By Anthony H. Cordesman, the Israel Journal of Foreign Affairs, (Vol.3 No.3 2009): 123-125.
– Practical Soldiers: Israel’s Military Thought and Its Formative Factors,
by Avi Kober, the Israel Journal of Foreign Affairs, (Vol.10 No.3 2016): 507-510.
Internal Israeli Publications:
A study of the development of Israeli warfare, from the perspective of land combat (the Israeli GOC army headquarters, 2008, in Hebrew)
2009–2010 Lecturer and academic instructor in the IDF’s Staff and Command College
2002–2007 Lecturer on Israeli national security and military history in Israel’s education system and in private forums
1992–2008 Lecturer, as a reserves instructor, on Israeli national security and military history in the Israeli Air Force
2011–Present Contributor and representative in the U.S.A. of IsraelDefense magazine
2007–2010 Researcher in different branches of the Israeli military as a private contractor
2001–2005 Political Science Research Assistant at Bar-Ilan University; subject: Israeli security policy, military, society and politics
2001 Researcher in the Armor Museum in Latroon, Israel
1995–2000 Researcher of Israeli history and IDF doctrine in Israel’s National War Memorial Center in Har-Eitan, Israel
1995 Researcher of the Palmach commando units, a project of the Palmach House Museum
2005 Bar-Ilan University, Israel, Ph.D., General History
Ph.D. Dissertation: “The Doctrine and Force Development of the IDF between 1957 and 1967″
1998 Tel Aviv University, Israel, M.A., Military History
1994 Tel Aviv University, Israel, B.A., General and Jewish History
Lectures, Panels and Conferences:
– A lecture in NYC on 5-12-2016. (I speak after the two-minute presentation).
– Panel on Israel and Iran in Washington, D.C., on 2-29-2012. I am the first speaker (after the three-minute presentation) and I talk for 15 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHE-AYx9Oo4
– Conference call on Israel’s national security, the Israel Project (TIP), 7-11-2012
Military Service (Israel Defense Forces):
2008 Honorable discharge, rank of Master Sergeant
1992–2008 Hawk missile battery: team leader, civilian military analyst and lecturer in the Israeli Air Force (reserves).
1988–1991 Regular military service—Israeli Air Force, Hawk missile battery: team leader, deputy platoon supervisor, noncommissioned officer instructor
1987 Honor student in IDF Paramilitary Middle East studies
Media and Opinion:
Commentary for the Washington Times
Interviews on radio stations: Voice of the IDF, channel B (two major radio stations in Israel), WRKO in Boston and the John Batchelor Show in NYC.
Lecturer to community groups (students, senior citizens, etc.)
Regular blood donor (donated more than 70 times)